Wednesday 9 May 2012

Derailed

             Thinking back on my education makes me feel like I was off track, but I currently feel like I am back on the right path. When I first started grade 9, I was not very excited about the amount of work required from me. I was more excited about meeting new people and making new friends. I tried to stay focused on my studies, but found it difficult to get through class and do my homework.
               
               Until grade 11 I was able to keep myself focused enough to manage to get by with passing grades, But then I became derailed from life. I got in with some of the wrong people, and couldn’t tell that my future was slowly slipping away from me. I found myself being distracted from my school work and what was truly important, by childish and immature habits that I am proud to have finally left behind. I realise now that I fell off the track, I dropped out of school and at the time didn’t care. I didn’t think you needed an education to be successful in life, and now know I was wrong.
                I spent a bit over a year in the working world, doing factory work with tools and I hated it. I realised shortly after I started this job that I didn’t want to do this for the rest of my life. With pressure from my friends and family I knew what I had to do and I also knew it would be a struggle for me. Even though I have kicked my bad habits and have grown up a whole lot from the kid I used to be, I still find it challenging to do school work.
                Going back to school was the easiest and hardest decision I have made. If I want to complete any of my career goals I know I need my high school diploma, making the decision easy. On the other hand school has always been hard for me, focusing on work is not a strong suit of mine and this made the decision hard. Now that I have found myself back on the right path and have almost worked my way to my diploma I am so happy with my accomplishments. Some people have doubted me the whole time, while others have cheered me on, and I am looking extremely forward to the day where I beat the odds against me, and finally finish school.
Although once derailed, it’s great to be on the right path for my future again.        

No comments:

Post a Comment