Tuesday 1 May 2012

How a Passion Can Become a Career

     When I think about what I'm passionate about one thing comes to mind- Coaching. When I coach hockey I feel as if I'm doing something that I'm not only good at but something that helps children gain self-esteem and get excited about exercise. Coaching is much like teaching- I'm taking my education about hockey and sharing that with young people that, like me are passionate about the sport. To make my passion become a career I would have to go through extensive amounts of schooling to expand my education on the history of hockey and the business behind couching professionally.
     Being a coach for boys hockey comes with a certain amount of preparation as well. I had to take a 2 day course to get my coaching certificate and write a test to become certified. There are also different security checks that I had to do to insure that I am qualified and able to be a leader. Coaching comes with a lot of responsibility, you are expected to be a good role model for younger children, therefore it may be beneficial to get more education on child development and problem solving methods. For the most part a career like coaching would take many years of experience to be able to become a coach for something as exclusive as the NHL.
   As a coach my main goals are to motivate players to become the best they can be by teaching them the basics. Starting with drills that will gain players confidence to be able to practise and up their athletic ability as well as their stamina. I enjoy coaching from the beginning because it allows me to teach children the fundamentals on how to be a successful athlete. Teaching young kids is the first step to a career in coaching. After coaching recreational hockey, it is best to go into coaching higher leagues in which you can gain more experience and a good reputation.
      Some educational courses that might be good to have are specialities in exercise, sports science, and physical education. To be considered for professional Coaching there are many different degrees that you can achieve such as: physiology, fitness, nutrition, physical education or sports management. Not only do coaches have to be good at team building and athlete strengthening, they should also be good at public speaking and business management. Some courses that may help with the business aspect of coaching are: Sports Management, Athletic Administration, or Sports and Recreational Management.
     The three main aspects of coaching that you must have in order to be successful are: schooling, experience and skill. With the three you can change coaching from a passion and hobby to a professional career.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment